These are examples of the sorts of garden sculpture commissions I have undertaken in recent years. Each one is unique and of course personal to the client who commissioned it but the principle in each is the same. That is, I try to capture what it is the client is dreaming of or hoping for even if they are unable to clearly define what it is they actually want. And this is most often the case. So the challenge for me when I undertake to make a sculpture is to find out what it is that they are going to love before I have even made it. Luckily this is very much a part of my motivation in the first place. To capture the undefined, the as yet unknown…..! The process goes as follows. First I have a conversation with the client about their ideas and their preferred styles …..we agree a price/time and then I make it. The process is straightforward and follows 5 simple steps:
- We have a conversation and the client shows me examples of art that they like and describes what it is they like about their choices.
- Based on this chat I do some research and come back with a smorgas-board of possible directions and the client chooses one.
- At this point I start drawing and create a design for free.
- If the client likes the concept and wants to pursue it we agree a design fee which will come off the eventual cost of the sculpture. The fee is usually in the region of €150€ up to €500 to define the budget and timeline for delivery and installation.
- Once the design is accepted the payment is made 50% up front and the remaining 50% on completion and just before delivery.
Please allow a maximum of two weeks for the design phase. Every design is bespoke and therefore unique.